6/8/09

Three things I really loved about E3.

The annual major videogame expo, E3, had one of its biggest shows in years.  For once there was very little to sigh at.  Here are three games that made me giddy...


Left 4 Dead 2 - I was very apprehensive about this announcement at first.  Not as much as some angry neckbeards, but a bit taken aback knowing that the one online multiplayer game I play on X-box 360 will be snuffed out within a year of release.  Once I started reading interviews, I was won over.  The devs are intent on making the game more repayable and more random.  Best of all, it discourages survivors from stacking in corners instead of fighting.  I have no problems with paying $60 to make this jump.


Scribblenauts - Forget the smoke & mirrors of "Project Natal", a dinky hand-drawn DS game has done what I thought was technologically impossible.  They've imported just about every noun in the English language into animated form.

To solve environmental puzzles, you type in a word that manifests itself on the screen, and you can interact with it.  More surprising, is how deep the interaction is.  You can summon a time machine and time travel!  You can summon God and The Devil, and they will fight!  It's amazing how much depth this game has.  I never thought I'd see anything like it.


Shadow Complex - 2D LIVES!  As much as I can't stand the presentation of the macho Gears of War series, I know it's a competent game.  Now the studio is putting out a classic 2D action/adventure game for XBLA.  It looks like a Metal Gear Aesthetic mixed with Castlevainia exploration.  Totally down for this.


There was a lot more to love at E3.  Alan Wake finally shows itself, Uncharted 2's amazing trailer, a Metriod game with a fresh new take, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, a Splinter Cell game worth looking at, another Crackdown game....  so much time and money to be happily wasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment