9/22/09

album of the week: 9.4






Jamie T
Kings & Queens
Virgin Records (2009)

why you'll like it: Dumb fun hip hop & rock from an unlikely source
why you'll hate it: white boy rapping

I am much to captivated by Scribblenauts this week to put it down and spend a lot of time writing a detailed review; so I'm keeping this short. Jamie T sounds sorta like a Paul's Boutique era Beastie Boys sort of thing. While he's still a guilty pleasure in my book, his North English accent and indie/punk knowledge saves him from "white kid trying to be tough" embarrassment.

His 2007 debut, Panic Prevention was a more fun album, but this is no sophomore jinx. There is some cool mellow and versatile stuff on here, yet it's the catchy hip hop fast paced songs that still stand out the most. I like Jamie T. He's nothing to rush and tell your friends about, but he carves out his own little niche quite well, and I enjoy whenever one of his songs show up on my iPod on random.

No comments:

Post a Comment