3/16/10

album of the week: 3.3






Sambassadeur
European
Labrador Records (2010)

why you'll love it: strong Swedish pop harmony genes. peaceful music
why you'll hate it: fails in company of its peers. doesn't stand out

I don't think I love Sambassadeur as much as just plain love Labrador Records. Labrador has been the home to the best Swedish indie and twee pop for the last ten years. Some of my favorites being Suburban Kids With Biblical Names and The Radio Dept.

Sambassadeur is admittedly not the best Labrador has to offer. They don't stand out on any musical, vocal, or lyrical fronts. That isn't to say European, or any of their albums for that matter aren't enjoyable and well done. The best thing I can say about this album is that it does not overstay its welcome, at only 9 songs.

This album is a fine introduction to the mostly flawless Labrador roster, if you prefer the warm bath approach. If you want to dive right in and be wowed this year... well, I've got my fingers crossed for what's forthcoming by The Radio Dept. and Club 8...

No comments:

Post a Comment