4/28/10

album of the week: 4.4






Lali Puna
Our Inventions
Morr Music

why you'll love it: Classy electronic trip-hop with no gimmicks
why you'll hate it: often too minimalist and subtle, nothing new

I wish I had more to say about this album. Firstly, the title is deceiving. Lali Puna isn't inventing anything here. It's not even material they haven't already covered in their previous three albums. Although, they're still one of the first mellow electronic coffeehouse kinda bands I recommend to people. They aren't as pretty as múm, or creative as Psapp, but much more consistent.
This album plays modestly, compared to the distortion heavy Faking The Books. If you have it on while you'll work or study, the songs will be enjoyable but not leave anything behind. You'll have to pay attention to the subtleties if you want to get the most out of this album. To me, it really wasn't worth it in the end. I found this to be too minimalist. As if a deliberate effort to not fall into electronic cliches left them with little to work with.
If this is your first listen to Lali Puna, you'll probably enjoy it a lot more than me. I just found myself switching over to their older stuff that seemed to more efficiently get to the heart of what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment