2/22/11

album of the week: 2.4






The Get Up Kids
There Are Rules
Quality Hill Records (2011)

why you'll love it: Long overdue evolution for a band back from the dead
why you'll hate it: If you pine for sappy love ballads, there is nothing for you

When I saw The Get Up Kids on their farewell tour in 2005, they were a band I actually believed were done. Despite their best efforts, they never really managed to shake the late 90's emo image of hopeless romantics. For that band to come back now, or any time in the near future, would also require that entire scene to make a return; and I think the past ten years of gothy nu-emo has buried any other perceptions of the genre forever.

Fortunately, that same band has not returned. It's the same lineup, same name, same singing voices; but an entirely new songwriting approach. I came into this album with cynical expectations of a Something To Write Home About (their most popular album) cash grab. Their absence made me forget that this band has never made the same album twice, and has spent the better half of their career running from the brand that album has left on them.

The first thing you'll notice about There Are Rules is the very obvious post punk influence, and more aggressive tone. Keyboards are used to make atmospheric sounds, or sharp, stabbing notes, rather than the traditional poppy blips & blops or welcoming piano melodies. It's a loud album, with a lot of distortion (damn, I love that fuzzy bass effect). When the songs are angry, they sound aggressive. When the songs are emotional, they are very spread out and moody. When they are meant to be catchy, they have a great Bloc Party style drum beat running throughout. All of these songs succeed in burning those emo bridges of the past. What I feel services this accomplishment the greatest, is the fact that there are zero love songs. Even in their past two albums, they've let a "Hannah Hold on" or "Never Be Alone" slip. This album finally pulls the rip-cord on all of that.

Another great thing is, even after spending a month with it, I feel like I've barely scratched the surface with these songs. I think by the end of the year, I'll really know these songs inside-out and love the album even more. Right now, I already love it; every single track. Pretty good for a band I never thought I'd hear from again, or even thought I didn't want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment