3/8/11

album of the week: 3.2






The Go! Team
Rolling Blackouts
Memphis Industries (2011)

why you'll love it: The best mash up of 70's hip-hop, indie rock, and pop yet
why you'll hate it: Third record in a row of the same thing

How does The Go! Team make their music so appealing? I don't really know. When describing them, I call them a modern day Schoolhouse Rock or Jackson Five. I didn't watch Schoolhouse Rock or listen to Jackson Five as a kid. Their music usually sounds like cheer squad chants and college marching bands. I was the last person you'd expect to care about a football game or pep rally at high school. So why am I recommending them?

I don't fucking know, but Rolling Blackouts is my favorite album to be released in the past two months. Most of the album is overly simplistic hip-hop with a positive message. It's kind of like when early 90's public service announcements tried to be cool and hip thinking "what do the kids like? The Run DMC? Let's try to get kids to say no to drugs with that sound." Only here it's not trying to be hip, and getting it wrong. In typical UK fashion, The Go! Team is proud of their kitsch, as it balances out the adrenaline pumping songs that would usually be dominated by off-putting Jock Jams competitive machismo.

There are a couple mellow instrumentals that defined their debut, Thunder, Lightning, Strike (2004), and more successful attempts at old school rap than the iffy follow-up, Proof of Youth (2007). The best songs on Rolling Blackouts are the positive energy spiked power anthems. Proof of Youth had a couple of these, like "Fake ID". This album has a few more, and they are amazing. The middle 8 of "Buy Nothing Day" is so rousing, you'll feel like you can take on a hurricane. A vocal cameo by Satomi Matsuzaki from Deerhoof slots right into the bouncy and irresistible "Secretary Song".

I haven't quite figured out where the line is yet, between fun party music, and mainstream hip-hop and pop. The Go! Team finds a way around that trigger in my brain. There is no idol worship. No generic fantasies about sex, fame, and power to make me think "Well this song was just made to make money." "Voice Yr Choice" has some narcissistic lyrics, but doesn't give me strong douche chills. I think i'm getting a bit too over my own head here. Maybe what I'm trying to say is I'd much rather see The Go! Team do a super bowl halftime show than the god damn Black Eyed Peas; but there isn't not all that much that separates these groups. Rolling Balckouts is a fantastic party album that doesn't stoop to risque catch phrases or promote ridiculous facades. It's fun that isn't concerned with looking cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment