6/2/11

album of the week: 6.1




Peter Bjorn And John
Gimme Some
(2011)


why you'll love it: Classic old school guitar pop style vastly improved.
why you'll hate it: Not as challenging and different as last two albums.


Using the phrase "overrated" on Peter Bjorn And John feels much to harsh, but I must admit, I never saw what was so great about them in their first few releases. Through the early naughties, the Swedish indie trio had a buzz about them, which hit a fever pitch with the release of Writer's Block (2006), and the commercial hit, "Young Folks". Their praise never seemed undeserving, but I had a hard time pretending these guys were pop geniuses. Aside from a few songs, I found most of their stuff middling and too wordy.

The instrumental Seaside Rock (2008) and experimental Living Thing (2009) were unpredictable and welcome surprises. After approaching songwriting from a fresh new perspective, Peter Bjorn And John have returned to the simple stripped down band format; and now I can finally say I get it. Every song on here is engaging and fun. It's like they went back and fixed what wasn't working before.

This album is nothing new, but irresistibly fun. So many great summer songs on here. "Lies" "Second Chance" "Dig A Little Deeper"… and I can't leave out the epic motorik closer, "I Know You Don't Love Me". Peter Bjorn And John is finally that group Spin and Pitchfork were gushing about five years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment