11/10/11

album of the week: 11.1

Laura Stevenson And The Cans
Sit Resist
(2011)





why you'll love it: Very lovable and relatable songwriting
why you'll hate it: a bit one dimensional

The rest of the year looks pretty dead for new releases. The last thing to come out that caught my ear was a Jens Lekman EP in September (forthcoming), and the only thing I see on the horizon is a Mighty Mighty Bosstones album in December (which probably won't be that good). So the rest of this month, I think I'll be doing some great stuff that I passed over in the first six months of '11.

Most impressive of my findings has been the sophomore release by Laura Stevenson And The Cans, Sit Resist. So much, that I feel guilty for ignoring this talented artist right under my nose over the past few years. Laura is from my general vicinity, Central New Jersey, and I've seen her aligned with bands I really enjoy, like Fake Problems, Screaming Females, and Bomb The Music Industry! Yet, this had always been an act reduced to the "maybe check out someday" pile.

Sit Resist is such an enjoyable album. It's folk music, kinda like Elliot Smith or Laura Veirs, but more playful. There is a very rich sound, with a lot of instruments. Laura has a versatile delivery that can switch from humble and fragile to bombastic in a heartbeat. "Master of Art" proves this point well. It's already one of my favorite songs of the year. With such a strong voice, and deep background band; Laura is free to make any kind of song she wants. These songs are quaint when they want to be, fun when they want to be; reflective, catchy, sweet… Everything they tried here was successful.

The gripes are minor. Some of the songs feel a bit incomplete. Not to the point where they feel like filler, but with more depth, could have been as good as some of the best songs on here. Also, there is nothing that will turn heads. If you never got into the whole "catchy modern take on folk music" sound before, this won't win you over. I'm singing the praises of this album over execution alone. But that execution… man. I'm totally smitten by this album. Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment