1/21/12

album of the week: 1_3

The Mighty Mighty BossToneS
The Magic of Youth
(2011)





why you'll love it: A more gritty classic Bosstones sound than the previous record
why you'll hate it: At best, a mere imitation of their far greater years.

I couldn't be more happy knowing The Mighty Mighty Bosstones is still making albums. They're so old and irrelevant now that you know it's for no other reason than because they love to do it. Having grown up just around that strange "summer of ska" boom in the late nineties (where bands like Reel Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were on the radio, talk shows, and in movies.), I still have a nostalgia for a few of my old Less Than Jake and Five Iron Frenzy albums, even though I hardly ever play them anymore. Of all those bands, Bosstones acted, and continue to act like adults; and I think thats what gives them their lasting appeal. I totally understand why they have such a devoted fanbase that is thrilled to hear them release an album in 2011.

The problem with The Magic of Youth is, we already had our Bosstones comeback album. It was called A Jackknife To A Swan, and it kicked ass. In 2002, the band's 15 minutes were already up; founding mender, Nate, left the band; everyone thought they were finished after Pay Attention (2000) was a commercial and critical failure. To come back from all that, be old, and still make a sort of ska-core sounding album with a good share of showpiece songs... It's the perfect comeback story, and it sent the band off on a good note.

The Bosstones decided to return again in 2009 with Pin Points And Gin Joints. Flat. I can't remember a damn thing about that album. I was sort of looking forward to it, but that worry I pushed to the back of my mind came true. There just isn't any more desire to push the sound further anymore. It doesn't make me angry. This band has earned the right to stick to their guns, and "make one more album" while they still can, but I just don't really need it.

If anything, The Magic of Youth makes amends for how boring Pin Points was. This album has more energy and a faster pace, but still no innovation. There is still a gaping hole of guitar innovation Nate brought to the band. The horn lines feel tacked on, like they were barely thought out. There are moments. "Like a Shotgun" has a great chorus. "Disappearing" starts out really good. There are no standout songs though. No "Holy Smoke". No "Hell of A Hat". Even the album cover is insultingly bland, as if it were made of clip-art in 1998.

This album isn't terrible. They're not doing any disgrace to their reputation. It just meets the minimum requirement. I guess The Mighty Mighty Bosstones is just a band that I respect more than I like these days. I still remember having a fucking blast seeing them in 2002/2003 thinking it would be the last time ever. Yeah, maybe it would have been better me for that to have been the end, but who am I to take away the good times I'm sure lots of devoted fans have had with these two albums?

No comments:

Post a Comment