2/27/12

album of the week: 2.4

the telephones
D.E.N.W.A e.p.
(2012)





why you'll love it: Possibly your new favorite telephones song?
why you'll hate it: rather pointless EP, band is still annoying as ever

OK, I'll concede. the telephones are "disco". I mentioned in my last telephones review, that they really aren't a disco band, for all the times they've said it. I think, by now, they've said it enough. Culminating in "D.E.N.W.A"'s proclamation "WE ARE FUCKING DISCO!" The song basically lists out all their previous "disco" singles, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER! OK, you guys win. I get it now. It certainly is a unique approach to plant your flag into a genre; but you've successfully brute forced your way into "disco" certification. Congrats.


That video is all you need to know about this single (with enough extra tracks to be an e.p.) If you can't hang with that… absolute nonsense, then bail out right now. I say nonsense as a complement. I love that video, and the song. It goes for it. That's all I ask of a band like this.

The rest of the e.p. is basically an afterthought. "Swim Swim Swim" is a forgettable ballad. "Wonder Woman" is fun, but just as forgettable. The rest of the tracks are alternate versions of older songs. I like the sped up version of "Sick Rocks". It's probably how they've been playing it live over the years. The "Habenero" remix is sludge. Throw that out. And there is nothing new about "White Elephant" aside from unnecessary in studio cheers bookending the track.

The only other note of interest is that this is the first time (to my knowledge) that the telephones are writing Japanese lyrics. I hope this doesn't become the norm with further releases. I like Akira's Engrish when it's bad, and found him to be surprisingly clever when he gets it right. Their excessive use of English lyrics are just another little thing that gives this band its charm.

The whole point of this EP is the title track. I think it's one of the most fun songs they've done. It's silly, clever, loud, and absolutely bonkers. I wouldn't have even bothered with this review if I didn't like it so much (I picked this over 4 other releases!). So, sorry for the bad taste. I know this music is total junk food. I'll talk about something less embarssing next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment