6/12/12

album of the week: 6.2

Words And Music By Saint Etienne
(2012)








why you'll love it: Sweet little much of British club, and pop music.
why you'll hate it: Shallow and predictable songwriting.


I feel guilty putting a whole lot of thought into this latest Saint Etienne album. Like I've been tricked by the band or their fans. On one side you have this well established, critically acclaimed band that has had a charmed career. I love their first two albums, and I hear their last two were a big hit with fans and critics who love concept albums. They're outspoken, and discuss music with the intelligence of a veteran, and optimism of a teenager. Bob Stanley has made a notable contribution to music journalisim. There is a lot to LIKE about Saint Etienne.

But Words And Music is just pop. Unapologetic, plain, and simple. After several spins of this album, I'm convinced that what you hear is what you get. There is no mysterious allure to the songs. They're as transparent as dictated speech. The whimsy tone, and obvious love for "pop music" as a whole makes me want to care, but I… just don't. I want something to keep me coming back.

This is extremely radio friendly pop music. Vanilla enough to be played in a Mormon doctor's waiting room. Some songs give off a PIzzicato Five feeling, like "Twenty Five Years" and "Last Days of Disco". "Haunted Jukebox" is probably the best song on here. Most of the album is by-the-numbers lite-FM pop. For all the proselytizing about the wonders and allure of music in the agonizing opening track, they sure do a bad job of selling that concept in the lyrics. Songs about 'making out to the DJ', references to 'the kids', and a whole of of rhyming for the slake of rhyming don't inspire me.

Maybe I'm just a cynical jerk. Their hearts are in the right place, some of the melodies are alright, and the vocals are still strong; but Words And Music is just one big "so what?" to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment