11/9/12

album of the week: 10.5

Ben Folds Five
The Sound of The Life of The Mind
(2012)








why you'll love it:  Ben Folds still a fun songwriter, some nostalgic fun
why you'll hate it: Sounds too much like Ben's later solo stuff.


Reunions always scare me, but I think it's just something I'm going to have to get used to as I get older.  They're all the rage lately.  A few have managed to exceed my expectations (Devo, and Hot Snakes), while some others have just made me wish memories would just stay in the past (Pixies, At The Drive-in).  Not sure where I stand on Ben Folds Five quite yet.

Ben Folds, and his lovable sophomoric personality, have never went away.  When the band broke up in 2000, Ben immediately went on to a solo career, writing the same kind of songs. So it's actually Robert Sledge's fuzzy bass, and his harmonies with drummer Darren Jessee, that are making a big triumphant return.  The pounding rhythm section that opens up this album ("Erase Me") elicited an audible "fuck - yes" from me within seconds.  "Michael Praytor, Five Years Later" (the best song on this album, no doubt), continues to evoke the sound that defined their first two LPs.  The self-titled LP (1995) and Forever And Ever, Amen (1997) are fantastic albums, musically and lyrically.  Ben Folds does an amazing job on those albums of representing a culture of snarky wallflowers, without ever becoming a stereotype or generic poster boy for "nerd rock" or whatever.  While Ben Folds Five will never be as iconic as Weezer, I feel they hit the bullseye in moments where "The Blue Album" just barely misses the mark.

Over the next 35 minutes, the tint on my rose-colored glasses begin to fade.  I'm convinced half of this album MUST be comprised of leftover melodies and lyrics from Ben's solo work.  Rob almost entirely checks out for a bunch of these songs.  It's just Ben, and some violins.  Maybe a little background drums from Darren.  These songs, aren't all that bad.  I think "Sky High" is the only one that rubbed me the wrong way, and "Hold That Thought" has some pretty cute songwriting.  It's just that -- I'm not here for a new Ben Folds album, well, I mean… not this time.  I'm here for the "Five"… well I mean, the two, but… you know what I mean!

The three remaining songs are… ok.  The title track is a bit too much like their final album, before the reunion, The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner (1999).  I think most fans agree that the album did not make the same impact of their first two.  "Draw A Crowd" is a pretty good example of how once Ben Folds became famous, his perspective and world around him changed; and so did the songwriting a bit.  He's still definitely the same person; and I kind of respect that he addresses this in his songs by using real examples in his life of fame and fortune.  But that still doesn't change the fact he is no longer on the outside looking in.  That is why there truly will never be another Whatever And Ever, Amen from these guys.  Ben just isn't going to fake it and try to write another "Battle of Who Could Care Less" or "One Angry Dwarf…"  

"Do it Anyway" is the closest you will get to that old style.  It sounds like an old-school song, and sung with a lot of "umph", but it is no doubt coming from that safe and secure perspective of somebody who has already succeeded.  Writing for the underdog will never-ever capture the perspective of the underdog.

So yeah, I don't know what to think of this Ben Folds Five return.  Objectively, this is pretty good stuff.  The album doesn't suck, and those first two tracks are KILLER; so I can't just brush this aside and pretend it never happened.  On the other hand, it's easy to see this as a huge disappointment compared to the rest of their discography.  Compound that with the fact that this is a reunion album that for the most part fails to recapture the band's signature sound (seriously where did the bass go for half of this album?!); and confirmation that the first two albums were lightning in a bottle.

The album is a disappointment, but I want to hear more from this reunion.  I am just letting the current take me wherever on this one.