12/21/12

album of the week: 12.2

The Evens
The Odds
(2012)

why you'll love it:  Unique style that is both comforting and stimulating.

why you'll hate it:  Too samey-samey.  The overly political lyrics aren't very memorable



No, you see, I was drawing a comparison.  My review this week is late because now you waited longer just to get the same thing you've gotten before.  The Evens are a DC punk duo, most notable for featuring Ian Mackaye (of Minor Threat and Fugazi).  Their coffeehouse lo-volume approach is something that really sticks out.  Their ability to create something rousing and invigorating without actually screaming or using distortion is something special.  Maybe a six year gap between this and the last Evens album is a good thing, because it made me kinda forget all their songs sound the same.

Hey, I'm used to a band doing the same thing every album.  I get a new Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra album every year and love it.  Also, The Evens do something only they do, so I'm not gonna hold it against them.  Just saying, The Evens in a nutshell is: serious social-economical lyrics (most seem to go over my head), and this really cool mellow sound that sounds like a poetry slam meets Spaghetti Western.  This is The Odds, and every other Evens album that preceded it.

I like this album quite a bit.  Most of the songs wash over me as if they are all one big song, but I enjoy the flow and pace of it all, and even catch myself bobbing along to it when not paying attention.  There is a driving force that only lets up in order to set in place another big moment.   The instrumental, "Wonder Why" is my favorite on here.  I don't know if that is a bad thing thing it entirely dismisses the political message of the band, but clearly the sound is the big thing about this duo.  What they do with such a simple set up is a real triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment