1/10/13

LISTAMANIA 2012: RETURN TO 2002!

Looking at what I have from 2002 reminds me of how big of a year it was for me.  I remember going to the Best Buy between classes to buy some of these albums that are in my top ten.  This was definitely the first year where I was getting into the kind of music I listen to today, and breaking out of that punk/ska exclusivity.  So yeah, if i knew about what I do now, this would have been my top 10 of 2002, even though some of these would have still been on my list back then....


Sample: Walking on A Wire
NUMBER TEN

THE GET UP KIDS
ON A WIRE

Following up an extremely popular and trendsetting emo-sweetheart indie pop album; the band takes control of their own destiny and releases a mature and chilled out 60's Beatles-esque album.  The respect points alone makes this album remarkable, but it's pretty good too.



Sample: Lost Cause
NUMBER NINE

BECK
SEA CHANGE

This guy has nearly done it all, and everything he attempts he excels at.  Motivated by loss and heartache, Beck uses his powers of psychedelica on humble and somber balladry.  As usual, it's amazing.




Sample: Somebody Loved Me
NUMBER EIGHT

REEL BIG FISH
CHEER UP

Young, cynical, and zero fucks to give about what kind of music you're playing or who your audience is.  This is how I remember Reel Big Fish.





Sample: LAX
NUMBER SEVEN

HOT SNAKES
SUICIDE INVOICE

The greatest punk rock band ever.




Sample: TV's High
 NUMBER SIX

POLYSICS
FOR YOUNG ELECTRIC POP

One of those Polysics albums that proved that they're not just a bunch of misguided spazzes.  Instead, they're a bunch of really creative spazzes, who can be just as catchy as they are abrasive.



Sample: Brakeはずれた俺の心臓
NUMBER FIVE

THEE MICHELLE GUN ELEPHANT
RODEO TANDEM BEAT SPECTER

The greatest punk rock album ever. 






Sample: Mu Empire
NUMBER FOUR

GLASSJAW
WORSHIP AND TRIBUTE

When it comes to progressive hardcore (and I am by no means, an expert), Europe has The Shape of Punk To Come by Refused.  America has Worship And Tribute.




Sample: Hearts of Oak
NUMBER THREE

TED LEO & THE PHARMACISTS
HEARTS OF OAK

WHOOPS THIS CAME OUT IN 2003.  I FUCKED UP



Sample: Disarm
NUMBER TWO

BAD ASTRONAUT
HOUSTON: WE HAVE A DRINKING PROBLEM

I can't possibly sum up Bad Astronaut in a blurb, or even how incredible they were.  Considering their roots, this album is logic-breakingly good in every aspect!  



Sample: Inuzini
NUMBER ONE

NUMBER GIRL
NUM HEAVYMETALLIC

When it comes to progressive hardcore (and I am totally an expert), Europe has The Shape of Punk To Come.  America has Worship And Tribute.  Japan has Num-Heavymetallic.


No comments:

Post a Comment