2/21/13

album of the week: 2.3

Flux Pavilion
Blow The Roof
(2013)

why you'll love it:  that part where if gets silent and then everything gets all loud and squeally and random sounds are going all "WARRGG WAHHH BUHHH"

why you'll hate it:  even for dubstep, this is pretty cheesy.


OK, so here is your big dumb dubstep release.  I actually enjoy the concept of dubstep at its very core. Without irony, even!  When you break it down to fundamentals, lots of random electronic sounds that sound like a robogasam are exactly what I like to hear.  Sometimes, at work, I like to track down a random dubstep mixtape on 8tracks.

A healthy indifference to popular opinion, and ignorance of the dubstep scene and its star performers keep me from getting as fed up with the genere as most do.  I don't even know the name of a single Skrillex song.  For some reason, Flux Pavilion is the only dubstep artist I have in my iTunes.  I don't even remember how I ended up with a copy of Lines in Wax (2010), but I did, and now here I am with his newest EP, Blow The Roof.

On top of hitting all of the dubstep bullet points, Flux also throws a dose of rap/hip-hop into the mix.  Also, he's British.
Know what you are getting into.

I like some songs, as corny as they are.  The "cool guy" rapping stuff and played out dance floor catch phrases are at least better than the modern attempts by capsule (the closest thing to this kind of stuff I enjoy).  It's easy for me to look past all the gaudy fluff and concentrate on the wacky computer bits.  I totally understand if it's all just too lame for others to get into.  As for a critical look into these songs...   Dude, it's dubstep.  You can't criticize a jelly doughnut for not being a sirloin steak.  It does as much as I ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment