12/3/14

in flight radio (Elbow - The Take Off And Landing of Everything)

*copy / pasted from my review on tumblr back in March 2014

Elbow - The Take Off And Landing of Everything

Why you'll love it:  Ambitious orchestral sized band ballads
Why you'll hate it: Slow and boring second half
It’s hard to pitch a band like Elbow.  I’ve got a long list of reasons why they’re “good” (Guy Garvey’s impeccable singing voice, and high production values would be at the top of it), but I don’t have much to sell somebody on the creative department.  They’re, in kind terms, a mainstream band.  I could totally see these guys on the Today show; in between segments about footage of dogs barking at the Law & Order theme, and time saving grocery bagging tips.

Elbow is like one of those bands that get used in every movie trailer for a year (oh wait… THEY WERE).  The thing is, they’re better than that.  They’re one of the few bands that have the talent to justify that kind of media push.

I love what I hear in a lot of songs off their latest album, The Take Off And Landing of Everything.  So much that I get drawn in occasionally, and really pay attention.  That’s where Elbow has never really clicked with me.  There isn’t much payoff to all the pomp & circumstance.  The lyrics usually go nowhere, and there is a lot of repetition.  “Charge” is a pitch-perfect moody instrumental, but the moment someone points out how often they say “hey”, boy does that song lose value.  I could be mean and really harp on weak lyrics, but the musical journey (as long as it may be) is worth the time.  Guy Garvey’s voice is really that good.  I could listen to him sing a phone book.  At least The Take Off And Landing of Everything is one of their better “phone books”.

---------------------
12-3-14 UPDATE

"My Sad Captains" is starting to feel like one of the best Elbow songs ever.  It's also the only shining moment in an otherwise slog of side B to this record.  When Elbow reels back on the production and just presents a song with subtle atmosphere, they glorify their common Manchester working class subject matter quite well.  But all too often, and especially on this album, they rely too much on theatrics and making the most epic song they can.  I can only hope for more "Fly Boy Blue", and less "New York Morning" next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment