6/24/15

"ramble til the butcher cut him down" (Hop Along - Painted Shut)

Hop Along
Painted Shut

why you'll love it: Substantial and unpredictable songwriting
why you'll hate it: Raspy vocals, tough to follow
A vice of adulthood I sometimes find hard to shake is just plain not putting up with things I don't have to do.  It's easier to just carve out my little slice of life and not deal with the rest.  This is evidenced in going to shows.  Now a days,  I just show up late to catch the headliner so i don't have to stand around and watch an opening band I statistically won't like or remember. Hop Along has been one of the very few over the last 5 years to prove my dumb habit wrong.  I saw them open for The Thermals in 2013, and was absolutely floored.

It's hard to explain without experiencing it for yourself...  They are among many indie-emo acts with a tinge of country influence.  They don't even do it "better" than most.  What kept Hop Along in my conciseness for two years was their ability to upend my expectations.  I remember thinking "I have no idea where this song is going." as Frances Quinlan croons one line, yelps the next, and whispers the third.  Songs would rev up, and halt, until finally creating that magical moment where it all clicks together.  That's Hop Along's great talent, which carries through in their latest release, Painted Shut.

Songs like "Texas Funeral" and "Waitress" crash up and down like choppy waters.  It's enough to make some listeners seasick.  There are some wonderful songs buried under all of the heaving, and discovering them is half the fun.  It's the same kind of buzz I got when Animal Collective finally clicked with me ("...wait, this mess of synthesizers and feedback is actually a pop song!").  Not all of Painted Shut isn't a puzzle waiting to be solved, though.  "The Knock" is almost entirely memorable hooks, without sacrificing any of Frances' hectic delivery.  "Powerful Man" is the upbeat and danceable song on here (ironically, as it's about witnessing child abuse).  "Sister Cites" goes for a more driven, constantly accelerating style to close things out.  It's an older tune, but a banger for sure, so it's great that it's been given a home.

The only songs that I don't feel work are the acoustic numbers.  There is no backing band to provide those dramatic builds and crescendos, or complicated layers.  A lot of what makes Hop Along stand out in the indie scene goes away with these songs. Without the band, Quinlan's abrasive delivery comes off like that of a crazy person, and not in a good way.  It's not that Hop Along doesn't know how to make a soft heartfelt song.  They just need only a little bit of power to punch through the atmosphere.  "I Saw My Twin" and "Horseshoe Crabs" are built on soft melodies.  They eventually turn into big numbers, but the ride to the moment is a pleasant build.

Painted Shut has been getting a lot of attention for all the right reasons.  You may have seen it praised on the few relevant music news and critique outlets left on the web, and you'll very likely see it again on my top ten at the end of the year.  Frances Quinlan is on the road to be one of modern music's best storytellers.  The band has had a slow start.  It's nice to see them get some recognition for their hard work.  Hopefully it sparks a more steady output of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment