4/21/09

album of the week - 4.4






Mono
Hymn to the Immortal Wind
Temporary Residence (2009)


why you'll love it - emotional... atmospheric... all that pretty stuff
why you'll hate it - depressing.  Nothing new for post-rock.


One epic post-rock band is all you really need.  For most, it's Godspeed You Black Emperor.  For the kids today, it's Explosions in The Sky.  I personally enjoy Do Make Say Think the most.  Where does this leave, Mono?  I'm not quite sure.  If you have never heard any of these bands before, they probably will be your favorite of the batch, simply because they grabbed your attention first.

My entirely subjective conclusion as to what makes Hymmn To The Immortal Wind stand out from the rest is that it's a rather depressing album.  The feeling I usually get from this music is epicness.  I can visualize marching armies, and frightening tidal waves.  But for reasons unknown to me, I just get a feeling of loneliness from this album.   So if  you need to dish out a good old "NOOOOOOO" or cross a vast expanse, this album should provide the appropriate soundtrack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment