12/29/11

NO POINT IN STOPPING NOW: My favorite albums of 2011

Alright, here we are. The top 5 on my list were dead easy to pick. The second half was an absolute nightmare. I'd pick out one bad thing about an album which left it just as faulty as 8 others. In the end, I just had to go with my feeling. So this is more like "my favorite 2011 albums of today, December 29." because I'll probably change my mind next week and say "dammit, Wild Flag and Deerhoof should have really been on here!" I just gotta post this before I change my mind again. If you've read all of these, thank you. They were fun to type up, but a bitch to edit and arrange.


NUMBER TEN
Peter Bjorn And John
Gimme Some



AGHHH, this was so hard to choose. As per every number ten, PB&J's return to simple guitar driven pop rock will be justified simply by some of whom it beat to get on this list. The Go! Team, Ancient Astronauts, and Laura Stevenson. AGHHHHH

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER NINE
Does it Offend You, Yeah?
Don't Say We Didn't Warn You



I am so going to regret this years from now. I know I'm just picking it for the impulsive thrill, but I've been drugged too hard. These stupid songs have so much punch to them. This is the most fun album of the year, if you're cool with a bit of weirdness.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER EIGHT
Beastie Boys
Hot Sauce Committee Part Two



The Beasties do one better than making a greatest hits album, they take all of their beloved styles and put it through this tasty wacky 21st century synthesizer filter. I love the sounds on this album!

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER SEVEN
Polysics
Oh! No! It's Heavy Polysick!!!



I'm always way too hard on my favorite band. This probably deserves to be higher, but I can't tell where my criticism ends and bias begins for these guys. After a massive lineup change, they deliver one of their most innovate and fun albums, while still making their songs so weird / abrasive / crazy that everyone is alienated, except those who "get" it.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER SIX
The Birthday
I'm Just A Dog



Speaking of lineup changes, The Birthday had one so severe, it forced them to revamp their songwriting structure drastically. Fortunately Japan's other garage rock god, Chiba Yusuke is in the driver's seat. Not the best, but certainly the most rocking album of the year.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER FIVE
Obits
Moody, Standard, And Poor



Froberg and co make all the right tweaks to their retro garage rock outfit. These songs are tighter, grittier, and more powerful then their so-so 2009 debut.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER FOUR
Towa Tei
Sunny



This is the year I finally stop bitching that Shibuya-kei is dead. Towa Tei swoops out of nowhere to make THE BEST Shibuya-kei album I've ever heard. This 21st century pop retro-splosion is made even better with guest appearances by Miho Hatori, 2/3s of YMO, Cornelius, and more.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER THREE
Battles
Gloss Drop



After a potentially apocalyptic lineup departure (hmmm, I'm sensing a theme this year…), Battles returns without a single fuck given. Catchy hypnotizing instrumentals, and a dream of guest performers. The sheer talent and harmony these three guys submit is jaw dropping.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER TWO
TV on The Radio
Nine Types of Light



Love songs are such bullshit. At least that's what I used to think, until this album came along. This release hit me like a religious experience. I can't believe it's so low or even a no-show on just about every other list I've read this week. This isn't a personal niche for me. It's a 100% legit amazing album.

-------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER ONE
Bomb The Music Industry!
Vacation



OK, this… this is a niche. Never has somebody put my own life (or, I assume, that of any aloof twenty-something) into perspective the way Jeff Rosenstock has. Usually soaked in 90's punk and ska riffs, this is a concept album with a steady surf-rock / Brian Wilson kind of structure. It's truthfully sad, charmingly sarcastic, and totally free!

No comments:

Post a Comment