1/6/12

album of the week: 1.1

Hella
Tripper
(2011)





why you'll love it: it's Hella
why you'll hate it: it's Hella

Life is busy this holiday season. Almost forgot to post the first review of the new year. Fortunately, January is cleanup month, and I don't have much to say about these albums. Hella is BACK! It wasn't until I got three tracks into this album, I realized I don't really like to listen to Hella all that much. I love Zach Hill. Always have, and even more since he launched a solo career. I love that Hella exists. I think they are a must for anyone who enjoys chaotic music. I'm also sure a lot of fans are psyched to hear Hella back as a duo again, pumping out noise; as opposed to their short lived experiment as a full band (with a singer and everything).

But... I've got to be honest with myself. I kind of get bored with the classic Hella sound. I already have Hold Your Horse Is (2002), and that feels like enough. This album isn't bad at all. You should get it if you are a die hard Hella fan, or never have heard of them or Zach Hill before. I still enjoy having this album on while I do something else, like play Team Fortress 2.; but if I sit and try to pay attention to it, I lose focus easily. It's just all rock, on 11, at all times, but with little to no versatility from track to track. Basically, you're just listening to Zach and Sam hammer away in some sort of mad competition to see who drops first. Most Hella fans wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment