12/29/11

Late To The Party: What I missed in 2010

Keeping track of even some of my favorite musicians outside of North America can be tricky. Also, when I get into a new band I'm never rushing to dive into their back catalogue and associated acts. Yeah, those are my crummy excuses for missing out on these quality releases last year.

NUMBER FIVE
Noun
Holy Hell



I was too busy being wowed by Screaming Females last year to look into Melissa Paternoster's solo record. umm yeah, she knows how to write a kick-ass rock song.

--------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER FOUR
Sleigh Bells
Treats



I have no idea how I missed these indie darlings of 2010. I've seen that album cover everywhere, and heard like half of this album in commercials through the whole year (and this one). I think this group is very overrated and kinda one-note, but I'm such a sucker for noise that I can hang with this.

--------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER THREE
4 Bonjour's Parties
Okapi Horn



I keep missing this group when their material is new. They're basically made up entirely of support instruments sown together with fragile vocals. It's cute, charming, and when you least suspect it, overwhelming. On their second album here, they take their little subtle sounds and manage to swell into these big emotional numbers. Lots of variety on this, with an overall feeling of positivity and adventure.

--------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER TWO
Säkert!
Facit



Annika Norlin is still being depressing, but Säkert! feels like a much more contextual fit for her. Very catchy, and the emotion of the songwriting is not lost in translation. Swedish pop is not dead!

--------------------------------------------------------
NUMBER ONE
Pontiacs
Galaxy Head Meeting



Garage rock god, Kenichi Asai. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment